- Does fighting seem like the only way you are connecting?
- Are you choosing to spend most of your free time apart?
- Do you feel lonely when you are together?
- Do you wish things were different?
What we’ll do.
While some couples seem to get along so easily most relationships take work and skill. My experience in the area of couples therapy has shown me how to help you give and get attention that feels good, how to talk about conflict without making things worse and most importantly, how to treat each other with kindness and respect even when disagreeing.
Unfortunately, on average, couples seek therapy years after beginning to experience issues. We will work to get beyond the fighting, unhappiness and distance that led you here by teaching you you exercises designed to improve communication and reduce conflict to help you experience more joy and satisfaction.
Some thoughts to decide if you need to call me instead of just talking to a friend.
- You are nicer to strangers than you are to your partner/spouse?
- Your friends know you better than the person you live with.
- You are actively avoiding spending time together.
- Jealousy is becoming an issue in your relationship
- You are holding onto old grudges.
- You are having the same fight over and over again.
We will do our best to fix it together with an open mind.
It’s not unusual for a couple to have a few things that cause recurring fights. We can work, in counseling, to recognize when you are fighting about something that is a stand in for something more important. Every couple I have worked with has brought unique challenges and strengths into their efforts to improve their relationship. I will carefully work to understand your relationship, focus your first few sessions on assessing your needs to help you and your partner make informed decisions about moving forward.
My couples counseling will then center on learning the skills to become successful in your relationship and your life.
Central to the advancement of human civilization is the spirit of open inquiry. We must not only learn to tolerate differences – we must welcome them as richness and diversity which can lead to true intelligence.
– Albert Einstein